ENGAGED BUDDHIST TRAINING PROGRAM
“The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path, I walk in peace. With each step, the wind blows. With each step, a flower blooms.” - Thich Nhat Hanh
8 Weeks, 6 Paramitas, 2 Retreats, 1 Temple, 0 Dollars
Saturdays 2pm - 5pm & Community Service
May 27th - July 15th
Meditation and Buddhist practice are often explored as a way to help you find peace of mind, while living a kind and gentle life. This program is focused on helping others in addition to yourself, which will allow you to cultivate the conditions to open your heart and mind.
The Engaged Buddhist Training Program is held for 8-weeks meeting twice a week. One weekly gathering will occur every Saturday from 2pm-5pm at the Dharma Bum Temple for meditation, Dharma talks, trainings, discussions, and book study. The other weekly gathering (date and time will be flexible) will be located somewhere in San Diego while providing community service. There will be two retreats on a Saturday from 8am-12pm where we will visit other Buddhist Temples/Monasteries for meditation and reflection. On retreat days, the afternoon meeting schedule will be modified accordingly. The program will conclude with a formal Taking Refuge in the Triple Gem and Five Precept Ceremony.
- Meet once a week on Saturday from 2pm-5pm at the Dharma Bum Temple. Must attend every class, unless there is an emergency situation or illness.
- Two half-day meditation retreats on Saturday at places like Hidden Valley Zen Center, Pao Fa Temple, Deer Park Monastery, Metta Forest Monastery or Dharma Bum Temple.
- 2 hours of community service hours each week with other group members. Service hours will vary, so you should be able to make it work with your existing responsibilities.
- 20 minutes per day of personal meditation practice.
- Book Study – Book to be announced and provided at the start of the program.
This program will be limited to 18 people, whom you will meet with weekly at the Dharma Bum Temple. This will be your community of practitioners throughout the program.
THIS PROGRAM IS NOW FULL - NEXT ONE WILL BE IN AUGUST
***Please note, no prior Buddhist practice or knowledge is required for this program. It is open to all people regardless of your previous experiences.
Special thank you to The Frederick P. Lenz Foundation for American Buddhism for funding this program!